Sunday, June 24, 2007

An unfailing affair III

An astute figure was sitting some distance from me. With muted footsteps I closed on him. Draped in a saffron dhoti; a white thread ran across his body. The austere look on his face deterred me from waking him out of meditation. That moment was beautiful and divine. A deep desire ran inside me to capture that moment so it could serve as a mnemonic to the setting on the banks of Gangaji. My camera was ready. But clicking without permission would be blasphemy. I sat close to him, observing his motionless body. Waiting!

Everything about this man seemed so immaculate. His erect body, studied breathing, braided tress, elegant beard which looked like an expanded V, and the constant slight movements of the lips. One moment he looked like a King sitting on his throne and the other an ordinary courtier. Calm on his face, that was easily traceable, posed many a questions to me. Most of which were unanswerable!

An hour had passed and Gangaji was now peaceful and radiant. There was hardly anyone near us, the temple lights were dimming and the tintinnabulation seemed distant and dying. ‘It is a little late for you to be here’, he said, while I was surveying the surroundings. I looked straight into his eyes. The austerity was now complete. ‘Is it time for you to go home?’, I inquired. ‘I am already home, Gangaji’s course is my home’.

After much hesitation I sought permission to photograph him meditating alongside Gangaji.

A small smile appeared on his face.

‘Why would you want to do that?’

‘It’s perhaps the most pristine moment I’ve ever experienced’, I replied almost apologetically.

His lips expanded to form a wide smile. ‘Why don’t you take your own photograph?’

That question baffled me. He continued, ‘jaisee drishti, vaisee srishti’ or, as is our vision, the world becomes that.

‘There is goodness in you, reason why you see goodness in me’

‘It’s a simple world out there but we choose to make it complex!’

'I don’t like to preach but I encourage people to see the beauty within and outside and then paint them on one canvas. Your beauty becomes my beauty and mine your’s. Together we make this srishti beautiful.'

Words, all of which still amaze me for their simplicity and depth.

In the course of my talk with Baba, a name that I still associate him with, I discovered that he was from Nepal and had made Rishikesh his home many years ago. He had a tale of his own which he chose to leave behind.

‘Gangaji gravitated me!’ he said smiling cherubically.

He told me about his trip to the source of Gangaji. Temples that spoke of Gangaji’s history, the union of Bhagirathi and Alaknanda, the piety of saints who lived in the most trying conditions near the Gaumukh glacier were all vivid in his mind and descriptive in words.

‘Ganga maiyya has taught me so much, I couldn’t ask for anymore, emotions, love, anger, fury, calm, discontentment, ecstasy she handles all with such panache and manages to enchant every one and spread an air of goodness around.’

We sat there for a long time celebrating our respective affairs with Gangaji. It seemed like a never ending night, which was not to be. Baba soon bade farewell, without a promise to meet again. He left me with a few words to live by, ‘every day I shall seek life and never end the search for the unknown’

Gangaji, was now bracing up for another sunrise, meandering, hitting the ghats with renewed fervor.

I quietly moved on. Seeking life…..

7 Comments:

At June 25, 2007 at 3:42 PM , Blogger Saraswati said...

Wow! Absolutely love the end!! Fits in beautifully.
:-)

 
At June 26, 2007 at 11:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At June 26, 2007 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

wow!! i mst say ..i felt so calm even reading it...i truely bel ..top meander along the divine gangaji and to meet the baba..is indeed achiveing the soo cld peace of mind...indeed a wonderful experience...

 
At June 26, 2007 at 12:31 PM , Blogger Akhil said...

Beautiful and serene! May you rediscover that peace within!

 
At June 28, 2007 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Saraswati said...

When intensity can't be stepped out of at will, it becomes dangerous, I think. It can become an obsession, a weakness, something a lot of people block out with alcohol, drugs and other addictions. The trick is to walk the tightrope - feel that intensity, yet not let it control your life to the point of madness. That's my understanding! :-)

 
At June 29, 2007 at 3:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

i would have called it - Divinity!! :)

 
At July 8, 2007 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

The piece has come together beautifully despite my earlier reservations..

Seeking life.. is what ties is together. You know I a part from your last piece reminded me of something I recently read in The Zahir. Two men come out of a sand pit and go to the river to wash up: one has dirt on his face and the other one's face is clean. Guess which one washes his face? The one who has no dirt because he looks at the other and thinks his face is dirty; however. the one whose face has dirt sees his mate and thinks his face is clean. "There is goodness in you, reason why you see goodness in me."

I have one word for your journey in this piece: beautiful. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home